From 18th September 2013 UNISON ballot papers will be sent to members’ home addresses by the Electoral Reform Society.
Members who do not receive their ballot papers within a week of 18th September can call 0845 355 0845 between 24th September and 12 noon 4th October. UNISONdirect agents will be able to take your details and arrange for a ballot paper to be sent to you (this will take 3 working days to reach you).
The UNISON ballot will close at 5pm on 8th October 2013.
UNISON’s Higher Education Service Group is campaigning nationally for a ‘YES’ vote from members, raising just some of the following points:-
• UNISON’s higher education members are facing a fifth year of pay awards below the cost of living;
• real-terms pay has been cut 13%;
• student numbers are up and cash surpluses in the sector are over £1bn;
• the English higher education funding body (HEFCE) reported in March 2013 that financial results are stronger than those previously projected in June 2012 despite a fall in public funding;
• the median pay package of the highest paid staff in the sector is £242,000.
Please contact your local steward or the branch if you have any questions.
Of the other Higher Education trade unions, UCU and UNITE also rejected the employers’ 1% pay offer and began consulting their members on the final offer with a recommendation to reject. We have no information at the moment about their next steps.
The branch has received information that the UNISON HE Pay Campaign is now under way and information for members can be found via the following link:
There is also information on the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UNISONinHigherEducation?ref=hl