The 2016 UNISON National Black Members’ Conference bulletin is now available on the UNISON Conference website. The conference is now open for registration on the Online Conference System (OCS).
The conference will be held at the Venue Cymru, Lladudno, Wales from Friday 22 to Sunday 24 January. If you are interested in attending, now is the time to speak to your branch about registering you as a delegate to the conference.
Nelson Mandela Award
UNISON 2015 Black members’ conference resolved to establish a Nelson Mandela award that embodies his attributes and becomes an annual feature of the conference.
Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s first Black president saw in democracy after three decades of apartheid rule which for Black people had meant living with years of racial segregation and systemic oppression. His vision was for a truly united South Africa and he became a powerful global figure of resistance.
Our union is proud to have made Mandela an honorary president of UNISON and to have stood by him and others in the movement on their historic struggle for equality, justice and in ending apartheid.
Amongst our Black membership we recognise that there is an abundance of talent and that there are many people who tirelessly contribute to the fight for racial equality.
The award will be presented to a Black member who has supported and ‘gone above and beyond to represent Black members’ celebrating their achievements, courage and determination within the union and more widely in our society.
The award winner will be invited to attend the next Black members’ conference as a guest of the National Committee where they will be presented with the award.
Submitting a qualifying nomination:
· Nominees should complete the Mandela award answer sheet July 15
· Nominations should be supported by branches or regional Black members’ committees
· Completed forms with all the relevant signatures should be sent by email to email@example.com or posted to Bukky Akinwale at the UNISON Centre, 130 Euston Road NW1 2AY and received by 31st August 5pm
· Signed nomination forms submission deadline – 31st August 17:00
· Award winner contacted and announced – 18th September
· Award presented at 2016 Black members conference, Llundudno, Wales – 22nd – 24th January 2016