UNISON’s 2019 National Young Members’ Weekend will be held at the Hilton Hotel, Belfast. It starts at 3pm on Friday 10th May and ends 12:30pm on Sunday 12th May.
Who can attend?
Any young member (under the age of 27 on Sunday, 12th May 2019), who is interested in getting actively involved in organising and campaigning in UNISON.
What is on offer?
The weekend includes plenary sessions, education and training, discussions and social activities. It’s a great way to network and find out how to get active.
If you would to get involve and represent our branch please email Dan Bye before 4th February for further details.
Our annual Branch Social was held on 5 December in the Arundel Room, Millennium Gallery.
Simon Duffy Director of the Centre for Welfare Reform and Secretary to Citizen Network was our guest speaker.
Members enjoyed a buffet lunch and won lots of prizes in the raffle, quiz and bingo.
Why not join us on Wednesday 5 December in the Arundel Room, Millennium Gallery.
Are you coming up to retirement?
Do you know that you can continue to get benefits of being a UNISON member after you leave SHU? All for a flat rate of £15 what a bargain!
As a retired member you would still have access to UNISON Welfare and UNISON Legal Services as well as receiving special rates or increased benefits from UNISON’s service providers.
You just need to have been a member for at least 2 years and to apply within 2 years of retiring from SHU and to be either be getting a pension or have reached the state pension age.
Download retired membership form
Assertiveness Workshop 9 November 2018
This one day workshop will help you to:
• Understand the meaning of assertive, passive and aggressive behaviour,
• Consider the nature and impact of behaviour on ourselves and on others,
• Practise a more assertive approach to a range of situations,
• Speak with more confidence.
Cost to Branch: FREE
Member Learning Weekend – 24-25 November 2018
(apply by 22 October 2018, places subject to availability)
1 night Residential at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, Leeds
Cost to branches: FREE
Download an application form at:- http://www.unison-yorks.org.uk/education.html. Application forms must then be approved by your branch; please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fri 7 December 2018 (Apply by: 5 November 2018)
Non-residential at UNISON Regional Centre, Commerce House, Leeds
This workshop, run by True Bearing Chartered, will make you aware of your choices and aid you in your decision making around retirement.
Is this workshop for me?
If you are retiring imminently or considering retiring within the next 18 months and want to be informed of the issues affecting your retirement you need to plan for your next phase of life.
By the end of the workshop you will be able to:
• Create your own route path from the world of work to the world of retirement,
• Identify changes in both pensions and financial regulations which will affect your retirement decisions,
• Identify the long term issues affecting your retirement,
• Identify personal and lifestyle actions which will help to improve your retirement,
• Start the process of planning for a successful retirement.
At True Bearing Chartered we can provide you with comprehensive independent financial advice to improve your financial security.
Cost to Branches: £10
If you would like to attend please email email@example.com
Struggling to make ends meet? Worried about back to school costs? Help is on hand.
We have set up a limited fund to help UNISON members on low income with school uniform costs. You could be eligible for a one-off payment of up to £120.
The closing date for applications is 21 July 2017.
Find out more and apply for help.
Pre-retirement workshops – spaces available
Are you retiring or considering retiring in the next 18 months? Join our workshop and prepare for the next stage of your life.
Learn how to
- create your own path from the world of work to the world of retirement
- identify changes in pensions and financial regulations which will affect your retirement decisions
- identify the long term issues affecting your retirement
- identify personal and lifestyle actions which will help to improve your retirement
- start the process of planning for a successful retirement
We have spaces available at the following pre-retirement workshops.
Friday, 28 April 2017
Friday, 8 December 2017
Both workshops run from 9.30am to 4.30pm in Leeds.
If you’re interested in attending, please email T.Shearer@unison.co.uk